Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Friend John Recieves Prestigious Award




Edward J. Bloustein Award
Recognizing community service outside of the university by a Rutgers alumnus or group of alumni. This award was established in 1992 in memory of the 17th president of Rutgers University.

John W. Mount UCNB’79

In 1980, the year after John graduated from Rutgers, President Jimmy Carter recognized him as one of New Jersey’s leading community and civic leaders. Decades later, he continues to surpass expectations in his lifetime commitment to serving others. A few examples of the many ways he gives back include helping to rehabilitate wildlife, conserve natural wonders, preserve history, educate the public, support disaster and homeless relief, improve business relations, serve local schools, advocate for recycling programs, and represent consumer interests. As president of John W. Mount Associates, a multifaceted government and public affairs consulting firm, he also serves organizations such as The ARC, Easter Seals, and the Cerebral Palsy Society, as well as groups concerned with environmental and ethical issues.


John serves as a board member of the Woodlands Wildlife Refuge in Pittstown, NJ. It's mission is the care and release of orphaned and injured native wildlife back to their natural habitat. They also provide educational programs about the habits and habitats of the local wildlife.

Woodlands is a NJ state licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility and is a non-profit 501(C)(3) charitable corporation. Woodlands receives no state or federal funding.

Because they are dedicated to the release of healthy and well-functioning animals into the wild, Woodlands must minimize the interaction of the animals with humans as much as possible; therefore they are not open to the general public.



John with a rescued bear at the Woodland Wildlife Refuge near Clinton, NJ


I met John eight years ago when he was a tenant at the self storage facility that I managed in Washington, NJ. We struck up a conversation about John Denver and the environment. From that time on we were friends. I once shared the fact that I was apprehensive  about attending my first Chamber of Commerce event at Centenary College in Hackettstown, NJ.  He not only advised me on what to expect, but he attended that meeting, and every meeting afterward with me. He showed me first hand how to mingle, and promote the business.  John also accompanied me to the Centenary College Presidential Swearing In Ceremony and Gala of Dr. Kenneth Hoyt in 2001.   At this prestigious ceremony John introduced me to N.J. Congressman Leonard Lance, and Senator Robert Littell, (Who donated the Littell Technology Center to the college) and their wives.   John being a dedicated Republican and Political Science Major orchestrated this introduction  knowing all along that I was a devout Democrat.  You see John knew that I always acted with respect and follow a civil decorum so he was simply broadening my horizons in the N.J. political landscape. 

He has been a kind, caring friend, and true gentlemen. It has been my experience in life that men like John are rare, and hard to come by. He certainly has proven to me that he deserves the award he is receiving from Rutgers University. My husband Roger and I are attending the ceremony in September. I am honored that he had chosen to invite me. Thank you John for thinking of me, and I thank God for bringing you into our lives.

*** Update May 2012 John's latest endeavors: http://www.bioexploration.org/tour-leaders.html

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~ C.S. Lewis









No comments:

Post a Comment