Saturday, December 15, 2012

Snowflake Decorative Felt Mittens


This is an easy art project.  The adult can do the cutting and gluing and the children can decorate them.

I created a mitten template using a paper plate, I then used that to cut the mittens out of felt rectangles purchased at Walmart for 23 cents each/made 4 mitten halves per sheet.  I bought five white, and five blue.  The foam snowflakes came from Oriental Trading $6.00 for 400 of them of various shapes and sizes. 

After all the mittens were cut out I used hot glue to glue two together by running the glue just inside the edges leaving the bottom open as in a regular mitten that can be worn. I pressed the top mitten evenly on the bottom one. Then I laid them out as though the were a pair and we then placed the foam snowflakes on them. The foam snowflakes have a peel away back that makes them stick fast to a surface. 

Later today we are going to place them on a twine clothesline for the grand-kids joint birthday party with a snow/snowman theme. I will post more pictures of the party in another post. 



10 sheets of felt created 20 pairs of mittens.  Approximately 3 3/4 inches in length, and 2 1/2 inches side to thumb.

Hang them on your tree, on a clothesline garland, or use them for party favors as they can be filled with a few candies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment