Monday, November 2, 2009

Julia's Jewish Apple Cake


Many years ago my mother's friend Julia Lorenzo brought the most delicious Jewish apple cake to my mother. It became known as Julia's specialty dessert around our house, and in her memory I have named it Julia's Jewish Apple Cake.

My daughter Jamiann called me this morning for the recipe, so I dug through some of my mother's hand written recipes, and very quickly found it. So here it is:





Julia's Jewish Apple Cake



350 degrees for 40 minutes

4 cups of sifted flour
2 eggs
1/2 lb. of butter or margarine
1 c sugar
2 heaping teaspoons of baking powder
a little milk to make a ball

3 lbs of apples

Mix eggs, butter, sugar
gradually add sifted flour and milk to make a ball of dough.

Peel and slice apples as for a pie.

Divide dough in half.

Roll out 1/2 dough and place in 9x11 cake pan
Cover dough with sliced apples
Sprinkle sugar on top of apples.*see note below

Roll out the second 1/2 of dough and place on top, lightly roll over again with rolling pin.

Place in oven and bake 30 for 40 minutes.

* This recipe did not mention cinnamon, however you may add it to the sugar that you sprinkle over the apples. You may also dust the cooled cake with confectioners sugar.






No comments:

Post a Comment