Sunday, September 18, 2011

Living With Pizzazz

“Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife” Jonathan Schattke 


During the early days of the Internet I had been writing a column on the former Themestream.com entitled Living With Pizzazz,  from which I earned a monthly stipend. Not long after it took off in leaps and bounds I added a second column Travels With Jardinami.  Both columns were dedicated to the idea that we can add enjoyment and pizzazz to an ordinary life, and do this by using one's creative talents, ingenuity, a little elbow grease, and on a shoe string budget. 


Cheddar Seafood Fondue In Bread Bowl
There were recipes for romantic dinners for two, holiday decorations, arts and crafts, and day trips to many free admission local attractions.  It has been, and still is my mission in life, to bring pizzazz into the lives of those wonderful individuals allied to my inner circle, and anyone who is willing to step there in! 


In the formative years of my two daughters, I had been a divorced mother raising them on my own.  I did however have a tremendous support system with my parents, siblings, extended family, and friends.  






I baked and decorated birthday cakes whenever needed, and at least a dozen wedding cakes for family and friends, as well as my own in 1993.  I baked and sold Christmas cookies, and hors d' oeuvres for extra holiday cash.  


 When I make food for a picnic, I try to make the food look as good as it tastes. I've made melon swans filled with berry yogurt dip, watermelon baskets filled with mixed fruits, and cucumber canoes filled with dip for chips.   I so love tapping into the creative inspiration God has given us all to use, and the kudos you get for your efforts are well worth the while. 

I had worked for the Warren County Welfare Board for almost nine years. We often had pot luck lunches, with each of us bringing in some home made goodies.  Well, I made cheese cake Christmas wreaths, a veggie/crudites topiary,  veggie/crudites Christmas tree, and trays upon trays of Christmas cookies.  My dear late friend Barb nicknamed me "Martha Stewart".  


One of my favorite movies is Mermaids starring Cher, Winona Ryder, Christina Ricci, and Bob Hoskins.  Cher's character Mrs. Flax is my kind of woman, a little outrageous and full of pizzazz!




"Creativity is a drug I can't do without."
-- Cecil B. DeMille, film producer

No comments:

Post a Comment