Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Chicken Meat Pie or How to make a Fryer Chicken stretch for two meals...

An inexpensive whole frying chicken that I roasted in the oven.
That was our dinner on Sunday November 19th along with mashed potatoes and gravy. After dinner I removed all remaining meat off of the bones added that to the leftover gravy,carrots, and onions. refrigerated it in a plastic covered bowl.

Today, Tuesday the 21st I peeled four medium potatoes and cut them into chunks. I then boiled them till tender and drained them. I returned them to the pot and added the leftover, gravy, carrots, onions, and chicken that was in a bowl in the fridge. I stirred it carefully and allowed it to heat through about ten minutes then shut it off.


I then mixed the pie crust dough using my Kitchen Aid Mixer while utilizing the paddle instead of the whisk.


   CRUST
{2 sticks of butter
3 cups of flour 
 pinch of salt}
{mix these three to create crumbles}


 Slowly add:
1/4 C ice cold water(may not need it all carefully add this.) until the dough forms on paddle and away from sides of mixing bowl. 


Remove dough from bowl and divide into two. I do not refrigerate the dough, I just roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. I used a  23 oz. French White Oval Corning dish. Roll out top and bottom crust(bottom should be larger).


I then scooped the chicken/gravy mixture into the bottom crust.

 Next I added the top crust and used a pastry wheel edger sealer and free hand cut out leaves but you can also use a cookie cutter.

I baked it for 55 minutes at 350 degrees F.


I didn't egg wash it because I was being frugal with my eggs. An egg wash will make it shiny. 

Like all pies let it settle and cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

From a Google Search Egg Wash




No comments:

Post a Comment