Thursday, October 6, 2011

Smoky Potato Soup



When I was a little girl my mother put hot dog coins in her potato soup. About twenty years ago I decided to take her soup in a different direction. I added smoked sausage coins to replace the hot dog coins, and added cheddar cheese. I have never changed the recipe since. Anyone who tasted my potato soup loved it. My granddaughter Abby sure loves it, and requests that I make it often.
After I picked Abby up from school yesterday we went to my house. Because she would be staying for supper, I gave her a choice of chuck roast or potato soup. You guessed it, she chose the potato soup.

This crisp cool Autumn weather is perfect for soup, and especially for soup made with new potatoes. I usually use red potatoes for my soup and my potato salad. The slightly sweet taste of red potatoes reminds me of the taste of chestnuts. Any of the many varieties of potatoes will do just fine for a delicious bowl of smoky potato soup.

Ingredients:

Two quart sauce pan

4 large or 5 medium potatoes

1 large Bermuda or Vidalia onion

1 package of smoked beef sausage

1 can of evaporated milk or 1 pint of heavy cream

1/2 stick of butter

1 teaspoon of seasoned salt or soul seasoning(Dollar General)

1 tablespoon of onion powder

2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or any Velveeta(Aldi's also sell their own brand) processed cheese

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

About a quart and a half of water


Peel potatoes and onion. Cut potatoes into eighths or fourths, and dice the onion.

Cut smoked sausage into coins or diagonal slices. You may also wish to skin the sausage.

Sautee the onion and sausage in the butter until slightly browned.

Add potatoes, and add water just to cover the potatoes

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Add seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, gently stir and then add cheese gently stir again. Once cheese is melted, add milk, and gently stir. Turn heat off. Gently stir again and serve.

Serves four or five.

No comments:

Post a Comment