Monday, October 5, 2009

On The Loss Of Innocence


The innocence of childhood is a gift that should never be taken or given away by anyone or anything. I believe we should hold on to a bit of it and keep it tucked away to be brought often and relished.

This past Saturday while traveling through a rough area of Reading, PA, with my ten year old granddaughter, I had insisted that we make sure the doors are locked on the car. My granddaughter then asked an astonishing question, "What are you afraid of Grammy, are you afraid of being raped?""Don't worry Gram, I don't think anyone would want to rape you."


I was horrified that this ten year old even knew the word. Then I got indignant that my little granddaughter thought that my looks are so appalling that no one would want to rape me. Then I spent the next half hour telling her how beautiful I used to be when I was young and much thinner. Here I was defending my right to be raped. How sick is that?


My pride was put aside and I discussed the fact that rape is an act of violence and that looks have nothing to do with it. It is sad that a ten year old knew about rape. She watches too much TV. These kids today grow up too soon. There are many that through the act of rape as a child loose their innocence at a young age, and their life will never be the same.
Kids should be allowed to be kids for as long as possible, the innocence of childhood is a gift that should never be taken away by anyone or anything.



And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

(Matthew 18:2-6 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment