Monday, February 11, 2013

A Truly Wonderful Concert I Attended...Many Years Ago...


My daughter Jamiann and I were at this concert with our friends Cheryl and Georgeanne. My favorite part of this concert was when Julie Andrews sang "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain..." and the audience rose from their seats in thunderous applause(At 9:10 on Part 10 below)! A botched operation to remove non-cancerous throat nodules in 1997 had permanently limited her range and her ability to hold notes. This appearance was her first attempt at singing again and it was just nine bars if my memory serves me correct.

This was the second time Jami and I had seen Julie Andrews in person.  We were in the audience of The Rosie O'Donnell Show previously when she appeared with both James Garner and Christopher Plummer during two Thanksgiving holiday tapings.  However this concert was our first chance to hear her sing in person even if it was just 9 bars it was a glorious 9 bars and even now when I watch this video it brings tears to my eyes!



















The main reason we attended...Barry Manilow:


We went to the stage door before the show and Robert Goulet was so nice and stood there speaking to us for a few minutes. I have to dig out the video I made of this conversation. Among the many stars we also saw Chita Rivera, Nathan Lane and Michael Crawford as we stood there.


No comments:

Post a Comment