Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remember September 11, 2001 and Moving Forward in Peace

We mustn't just remember the horrible details of that tragic day, but the lesson that we must learn from all tragic events and loss. We must attain Peace and move forward in harmony if the lives that were lost are to have a lasting meaning instead of just a tragic end.
  
Though common vernacular would dictate that I should say that I have always been a fan of John Denver I would rather use the words kindred spirit who has been amazed by his ability to move the human soul with his lyrics and music. I remember once that Jeni Stepanek had commented on one of my John Denver post. Jeni is the mother of Mattie Stepanek the young boy who inspires the world with his words and especially this phrase "Peace Is Possible". Like John, Mattie continues to inspire even though he has passed on. It is my opinion that this John Denver song that appears on his debut album from 1969 was prophetic. There are several lines that impress me and make feel that it is prophetic regarding the terrorist acts that changed our world on September 11, 2001. John wrote:

Though the cities start to crumble
And the towers fall around us
The sun is slowly fading
And it's colder than the sea

It gives me the chills to hear him sing these words and coupling them with the description many who were there in lower Manhattan that horrible day his lyrics in 1969 truly hit home!


As in all tragedy and loss we look for the lesson or the message that helps us to make sense of the event. I believe these next lines of John's song Rhymes and Reasons is our message and as Jeni Stepanek entitled her latest book Messenger I believe it is Mattie and his message of Peace that leads us to a better way.


It is written from the desert

To the mountains they shall lead us
By the hand and by the heart
They will comfort you and me
In their innocence and trusting
They will teach us to be free

For the children and the flowers

Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Would clear a cloudy day

And the song that I am singing

Is a prayer to non believers
Come and stand beside us
We can find a better way.

Now it is up to us to listen, and follow their lead. Let us make their lives, their message a integral part of each and every day, of each and every word we write and say!


No comments:

Post a Comment